Monday, August 17, 2026

Film Review; "Evil Dead Burn"






 While I am always looking for horror movies, when I see Halloween decorations hitting the shelves in July, it makes the urgency level rise. I am glad I took my time to find this movie online, because it might not have been worth the trip to the theater, which I rarely make in the first place, but it was best digested in four seperate chunks of time, over two days. Which is a shorter time than msot movies take for me. It is no surprise this is not the best movie in the franchise, but it is also not the worst. It is different enough to not feel redundant, but still remembers the assignment. The fact that Sam Raimi hung around as the producer helped protect the legacy of the brand. 

With that came the just being gross to uphold the standard vibe. You would think the Necromomicon, even this fictional version, would summon more monsters than jsut demon zombies, but no, though this time they are pyro-zombies. The writing works well enough, with neough balance in the getting-to-know-the-characters section, yet I am seeing a recurring trope of the annoyingly Beta coward male with the female protagonist having to step it up. This is the third movie if we are just counting horror, but it was even in Masters of the Universe. This was the only Hollywood psy-op agenda moment of the movie 

It is familiar and pulls from the other movies, a wink at them from time to time. I would say tense but not scary, as it wa a little predictable. They did take their time to establish the characters a bit, not that it really matters as all of them are equally unlikeable, but it seems to be the point as it is the curse of a toxic family that seems to fuel the evil into motion here. They check off the Rami boxes of including scenes that are gross for the sake of being so and hold no bearing on the plot. It was a fun watch that looses sateam imn the third act, so leave your thinking caps at home and just be prepared, but in your face dread.



No comments:

Post a Comment